Friday, October 22, 2010

Conversations with Erin: Scientists with beards

A conversation which occured during a lull in our Tuesday night Bible study, while the 'adults' were talking about something else.

Erin: "I bet Newton had beard. A great big beardy-beard."

Me: "Newon didn't have a beard."

Erin: "He didn't have a beardy-beard? I thought he did."

Me: "Nope, I'm pretty sure he was clean-shaven. None of his portraits have beards."

Erin: "I must be thinking of Copernicus."

Me: "Yes! Copernicus DEFINITELY had a considerable beard."

Erin: "That's because he was a mystic."

Me: "Of course. Being a mystic makes your beard grow beardy. Most of the older scientists probably had beardy-beards."

Erin: "That's probably why Jack doesn't grow a beard." (For non-Gutenberg students: Jack is one of our beloved tutors with no beard and not a single mystical sensibility to speak of).

Ashli: "I would imagine not."

Erin: "I wonder how Ron feels about this?" (Ron, like Jack, is not a mystic, but unlike Jack sports an impressive beard).

Ashli: *shrug*

Erin: "...Now Kepler, he had the biggest beardy-beard of all!"

Yours, etc.

5 comments:

Mergus merganser said...

Matt has an impressive beard

Janel said...

Very profound conversation, that is. :)

Hello dearest! It is I, the crazy girl across the...well, I guess I'm not really 'across' anything. So, I'll just say it's the crazy girl who misses you a lot! I did not know you had a blog, and I'm glad to see that you do. Check mine out, if ever you have time:

www.janelbrubaker.com

Love you!
~Janel B.

Mergus merganser said...

But I don't think Matt is a mystic - actually I know Matt isn't a mystic :)

Mergus merganser said...

How about women mystics - can they have beards?

Ashli's Anecdotes said...

Mergus, I love the way you interact with my blog. You never fail to make me smile.
And, to the crazy girl across the blogosphere (how do you like that?), I will be happy to read anything you write.